Overview & History
The Cessna Citation CJ2 (Model 525A) is an upgrade of model 525 (CJ/CJ1/M2) including a stretched cabin and wingspan along with increased range and payload capacity. The CJ2 can be single-pilot operated.
As of December 2019, 91% of Citation CJ2 aircraft were purchased pre-owned by their current owner, the other 9% new. 12.3% are for sale with the majority of those (79%) under an exclusive broker agreement. When for sale the average time on the market is 319 days.
The first delivery of the Cessna Citation CJ2 occurred in 2000 and the series ended production in 2006. A total of 243 Citation CJ2 aircraft were built with 7 retired. The CJ2+ was the follow-on aircraft that started production in 2005 and ended in 2016.
Cessna Citation CJ2 Performance
The CJ2 is quite fuel-efficient, with an average fuel burn of 140 gallons per hour. The economy of its fuel burn can be largely attributed to Cessna’s choice of engines. It uses two Williams/Rolls-Royce FJ44-2C turbofan engines, each of which delivers 2,400 lbs. of thrust on takeoff (400 lbs. more than the CJ1 and CJ1+).
The CJ2 can take off in 3,420 feet at sea level, or in 5,080 feet on a runway at an altitude of 5,000 feet. It takes seventeen minutes to climb to 37,000 feet. At its maximum certified flight ceiling of 45,000 feet, it reaches its long-range cruise speed of 352 knots. Its high-speed cruise is 407 knots. All of the cabin’s pressurization systems (certified to 8.9 psi) are controlled digitally, able to maintain sea-level cabin pressure at 23,586 feet.
The CJ2 has a significantly increased payload capacity in comparison to the CJ1. Its maximum take-off weight was increased by 1,700 pounds and the maximum fuel weight rose by 780 pounds. These alterations result in better maximum range/payload flexibility, offering owners more options in flight planning. The most surprising result of the significant increase in the payload is that, despite the additional weight, the CJ2 is 30 knots faster than the CJ1 and has a range of 1,700 miles (1,480 nautical miles) while carrying four passengers, 440 miles further than the CJ1.
Cessna Citation CJ2 Interior
The cabin measures 14.1 feet long by 4.8 feet wide by 4.8 feet tall giving it a total cabin volume of 243 cubic feet. The dimensions make it comfortable for 7 passengers, with the maximum configuration seating 8. The baggage compartment can hold up to 11 bags, assuming your average piece of luggage is less than 5 cubic feet. Cessna CJ2 has a roomy six-seat interior, fully stocked refreshment center, and a private lavatory.
Quiet and comfortable, it’s the perfect aircraft for short to mid-range trips, and a great choice for high altitude destinations. You’ll arrive relaxed and ready for business or pleasure. Other amenities include Airshow / Moving Map Display, 110 AC Outlets in Cabin, Passenger Flight Phone, and hot Coffee Station.
Rockwell Collins industry-leading IFIS is an integral component of the CJ2/CJ2+ and provides a higher level of operational efficiency and convenience by introducing a path to a paperless flight deck. At the heart of the system is the File Server Unit (FSU), which uses a high-bandwidth Ethernet link to interface with the Pro-Line 21MFDs.
IFIS advanced features greatly enhance situational awareness and flight crew decision-making, including electronic charting, graphical weather, and enhanced maps for your flight deck.
Cessna Citation CJ2 Charter Cost
This jet is one of the most economical jets available for charter flights from and to New York, with a wide range of availability in several major aviation markets. The cost to charter this jet starts at around $2,900 an hour. Hourly charter rates do not include all taxes, fuel, and other fees. Charter costs will vary based on year of make/model, schedule, routing, passenger & baggage totals, and other factors.
The acquisition cost for the Cessna Citation CJ2 typically ranges from $7 million. The price of a jet depends on the production year; it can also go above the given range if the production is new. It will cost buyers around $800K million a year which includes fuel, crew members, and maintenance, etc. The price of a pre-owned aircraft can be within $5 million. You can find many sellers currently on different websites.